Subject: [Leica] Return of the 21mm super Angulon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:55:44 -0400

Might be apples and oranges comparing a classic non retrofocal not fast
super Angulon ultra compact against a fast (yes 2.8 is fast) retrofocal ASPH
from Leica not twice but three times the size and weight. Don't know about
you but I've tried carrying that lens on my camera all day. One needs Advil
ahead of time and padded shoulders.  And one wishes one had a slower compact
for such a non occasion. Or wheels.
Even though the Elmarit is retrofocal I've used it for interior use  in an
extensive project and exterior of buildings use and it may as well be it
seems just as distortion free. But for me its a "job lens". I have it on the
camera not for all day but to go and shoot a specific thing.  And occasion .
Then go home. Ditto with the 24 Elmarit which I also have which is its more
humane twin.
The new 21 3.4 though has a less humane twin from Leica. And that's the 18
3.8 which as been out a few years. For when 21 use gives one a cramped
feeling. Its perhaps not quite a compact from what I can see.

Me I was out all night shooting with my monster 14. 2.8 Nikor the size of
two or three Elmarits.  In Perry Mason this lens would be referred to as a
"heavy Blunt object".
And it can be done And it can be fun. And the results can be worth it. Will
post in a few hours.
But do I still have a wrist?
My tendons need to be replaced with high tech wire.

Mark William Rabiner