Subject: [Leica] New Leica M Stuff
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:40:50 -0700
References: <78360B7C-76FD-4E7A-A744-C1F95F887902@charter.net> <CA26873F.1095D%mark@rabinergroup.com> <20110622030649.GA63482@selenium.125px.com> <BANLkTikB+aa3cQM49hjJQppmFubQmW29zQ@mail.gmail.com> <20110622042815.GB63482@selenium.125px.com> <BANLkTikcr+t9qgfuxdbD4+nQcdpR9-=Dww@mail.gmail.com> <20110622044205.GC63482@selenium.125px.com> <p06230904ca27419383db@[192.168.1.8]> <010b01cc30ea$19a891a0$4cf9b4e0$@earthlink.net>

Hi Frank,

The MTF curves give some indication of the relative performance, but
certainly not all. Zeiss put out a couple of brochures that give a
very good general explanation of MTF curves. If you want me to send
them to you, send me a note off-list.

The MTF curves give an indication of the point transfer function of
the lenses, so if the solid lines (for sagittal structures) and
dashed lines (tangential structures) overlap, a point light source
will be imaged as a slightly diffuse circle. If both lines are at
100%, the point will be imaged as a point. The lower the contrast
value (%), the larger the diffuse circle; the more the two lines
diverge, the more elongated the now oval diffuse circle becomes. This
leads to flare and 'bleeding'.

All of this only applies at the plane of focus. Little about the out
of focus imaging qualities can be deduced from these graphs. Also,
testing protocols can vary quite a bit and still be 'accurate', so
graphs from different manufacturers, or even different testers from
the same manufacturer can't be compared reasonably.

There's a lot more to optics than these graphs can show, so they
always have to be taken with a grain (kilo) of salt.

The Summilux at f/1.4 has the weakest performance (surprise,
surprise!), but by f/2.8 is quite respectable and very close overall
to that of the Elmarit ASPH. Especially the larger and medium details
are rendered very well across the field, and if anything are rendered
a bit better further out in the field by the Summilux than the
Elmarit. Extremely fine detail has pretty good resolution but lower
contrast than the Elmarit.

All the lenses are very good in the central 15mm at all apertures,
with very fine detail rendered at high contrast; only the Summilux at
the widest apertures falls off a bit here.

At f/4 there are actually only two categories in performance: the
Super-Elmar and the others. The other three each have their strong
points and their weak points (relatively), but the Super-Elmar is
best. The Super Elmar has a very slight increase in performance at
the edges at f/5.6, but for the most actually loses performance as it
is stopped down.

So from the graphs the Super-Elmar is definitely the best, but the
others are all outstanding lenses. The Summilux, for example, is a
fair bit better at f/1.4 than the non-ASPH Elmarit was at f/2.8.

The Tri-Elmar is quite interesting in that at f/4 it's performance is
quite similar to that of the f/3.4 Super Angulon at f/5.6, except the
far corners of the T-E are better than those of the SA. The old f/4
SA was noticeably worse than the f/3.4, and closer to the non-ASPH
Elmarit in performance.

At present I have a number of 21's; the Summilux, the Elmarit-ASPH,
the Tri-Elmar, the f/3.4 SA and the CV f/4. The CV is decent, but
lacks the clarity of the Leica lenses and all samples I've tried of
the CV have had some decentering, which I've not had with the Leica
lenses. The CV is not bad, but it's just not as good. The SA isn't
useable on the digital M's, so it's hard for me to really compare it.
On B&W film I still like it, but it clearly is not a modern optic.
The other three I use pretty much interchangeably. The Summilux has a
bit more distortion than the others, and the distortion on the
Tri-Elmar is a bit more strongly mustache-shaped, so the Elmarit wins
here. At medium apertures they are largely equivalent for practical
purposes, and I tend to carry one or the other depending on their
other attributes. Since distortion can be corrected in software when
necessary, it's not as big a deal anymore as it was in film days, and
the other qualities are reasonably given priority.

--

       Henning J. Wulff
  Wulff Photography & Design
mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com