Subject: [Leica] M8 firmware upgrade 2.014
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 07:44:50 +1000

Amplification for the petulant ;-)
The M9 was the major focus and its firmware added significant extra
processing (to improve edge performance with all of the wides) plus speed up
operations in general. On M9 launch Stefan Daniel did say that he was not
yet completely happy with the speed of the M9 processing (and we know that
it is no sprinter). Despite an extra processor there is 80% more data to
deal with. Some of the latter speed improvement was apparently done by
reordering/organising all of the steps to adress the vignetting edge
limitaions, actually produce a preview, display it, etc. Some of that last
has evidently been applied to the M8 as well. I think it would be
unreasonable to expect any major changes/additional features for the M8 now.

There now, get out your stop watches and see if things are snappier for your
M8's. Or ignore the free update if you want! ;-)

Cheers
Geoff

*Life's not black and white, except at both ends*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman