Subject: [Leica] Another R option (now M9)
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:36:30 -0400

But Leica still has much of its 1950s-1980s users to rely upon. There
haven't been more than 3 generations passed since Leitz first marketed
their first 35mm body. It wasn't that long ago and after WWII when they
gained most of their user base, a large number of those people who
started photography in the postwar-1960s are still alive and making
photos.
Yes, Leica is a brand that is supposedly used by the financially secure
older demographic, but it hasn't always been that way. I guess with the
changing of the media, ownership of one's own equipment changes
everything and puts more pressure on the photographer.
Anyways, much of their core of users going all the way back to the M3 is
still around, clicking away.
But really, if Leica is banking on the more affluent of my generation
and the next to buy in 20 or so years, then I'm sure I'll live to see
the company go under, or perhaps charge even more outrageous prices for
one-off cameras.
It's going to reach a turning point when the Leica camera ceases to
become a photographic tool like a brand new Ferrari isn't the best
driving car for everyday use. Leicas will be relegated to "Sunday
drive" use only.

Phil Forrest