Subject: [Leica] Another R option (now M9)
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 05:03:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Henning Wulff wrote:

>He has a lot of good points, and some that are irrelevant.

I get the sense that he's neither engineer nor business school graduate.

More features inevitably means compromising something else.  Lower cost?
Sure I want stuff to cost less but Leica's already selling them as fast as
they can make them even without his proposed enhancements.  The only thing
lower cost would do is reduce the company's profits.  Lower profits leads to
less R&D.  If Lloyd means lower production cost, you'd need volume to do
that.  The demand curve for a digital rangefinder is relatively inelastic.
Either you grok RF or you don't, not much in between.  A lower retail price
isn't going to make enough difference in demand to get the volume production
needed to reduce production cost.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com