Subject: [Leica] IMG: Australian Raptors
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:00:31 +1000

 We recently visted the splendid O'Reilly's guesthouse in the Lamington
National Park area of Australia. One attraction is a show at close range
with a number of (non-releasable) birds that have been nursed after injury
or otherwise rescued.  With profound apologies to Doug Herr and no claims
whatsoever for any skill on my part. The photos may be of interest
nevertheless.

A rubber snake has a very bad day
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535899
Black Kite under training
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535900
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535901

Top bird of Australian raptors, the Wedgetail Eagle (six photos)
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535903
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535904
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535905
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535906

This was one of three non-releasable individuals (Della, Stella and Des I
think!). We were fascinated to be told that the wild eagles spot these
individuals from a very long distance and very recently had dived right past
the audience to attack one individual, rolling it across the ground in a
burst of feathers just feet from the audience. These show a captive that has
spotted a wild counterpart. They are carefully moved to safety now if this
looks like developing.
My wife had the opportunity to meet one individual at close range and was
thrilled with the experience. Brave lady!
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535902
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/135535907
 My wife also made quite a few nice photographs of creatures and sunsets,
taking advantage of the new Travel Zoom that I got to use where I may not
want to take my M or for those Leica stack occasions. Sadly it appears that
I am not getting that camera back now. I'll post some for her once they are
sorted.

Cheers
Geoff

*Life's not black and white, except at both ends*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Australian Raptors)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] IMG: Australian Raptors)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: Australian Raptors)