Subject: [Leica] Another R option
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 02:34:25 -0400

The best time to get a cutting edge piece of digital technology is always
next year. The problem comes when know you are heading out on that weekend
to get some maybe key shots and you want them to come out as well as
possible and be something resembling up to date technology wise.   And this
weekend is not next year. Definite jumps are made in digital camera
technology in very few years.  The level moves up. Lots of people buy these
things it behooves the people that make them to try to be on the cutting
edge hopefully ahead of their competition. These people are not making any
money sitting on thier hands. And that's is the point. A guy cant be faulted
sitting on his either.
The Leica Digital Modul R started to ship  June 2005 that's six years ago. A
half dozen years.  It came with a SanDisk 256MB Ultra II card .   I think
that's enough time for the level of digital technology to reinvent itself a
couple of times at least. And it was a 1.37x crop circle.
Many of us including me were still shooting with a D100 in June 2005. At the
very end of the year the D200 came out I experienced a huge leap. Now I'd
consider that camera to be a near paperweight. I'm sure I could sell it for
50 bucks but I'd have to live with myself. The D700 is much more a huge leap
than the past one for me by a mile it came out in 2008 and put Nikon back in
business with Canon as it had fallen far behind.
I don't think a guy can be faulted for wanting to be more up to date in
what's going on digitally results wise and everything else wise.
Just because something is made in Denmark does not mean its technologically
unstuck in time.

Mark

Mark William Rabiner
Photography