Subject: [Leica] Another R option
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:41:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Steve Barbour wrote:

>On Jun 11, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Doug Herr wrote:
>
>> I sent a query to Luis Guevara of sigmacumlaude.com asking if he has
>> considered offering a conversion of the Sony A900 to R mount.
>>
>> His response is that he's been considering this conversion for his own
>> personal use. The only thing stopping him is not having an A900.
>>
>> He says that if I were to supply an A900 body and a signed release of
>> liability he can do a one-off conversion for US$350. If I'm understanding
>> him correctly the body isn't modified, it's just a replacement flange.
>> I'd confirm this before committing a body to the conversion.
>>
>> I'm sure it would be manual aperture, just like a leitax mount
>> conversion.  One advantage of this conversion over leitax is the lens is
>> not modified so it can still be used on an R film body.  A disadvantage
>> is that the modified body would not be able to use any lenses other than
>> Leica R.
>>
>> An advantage of this over an adapter + Canon body is no mirror clearance
>> problems because from the SL2 onward Leica used the Minolta mirror box
>> specs.
>

>are you thinking of doing this for your use Doug?
>
>are you feeling that the quality of the A900 is high enough to make it
>worthwhile, for you, for Leica R glass etc ?

I'm exploring options in case of an unrepairable DMR failure or loss.  Using
R lenses on any camera other than Leica R means losing the auto-aperture but
the A900's color quality, excellent viewfinder and full-frame sensor with
lots and lots of pixels are very appealing, and converting the camera's
mount instead of the lens means I can still use the lenses on SL bodies.
And no mirror clearance problems.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com