Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Gathering at Qarabagh, Afghanistan
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:05:11 -0400

When I lived in Iran, I wore a chador and had the same access to men's
meetings and social gatherings as any other woman - none.  When I worked in
Iraq, I had a government minder and had the same access as any other
journalist. When I was in Jordan, I was traveling with two male
photographers.  Men always shook their hands and refused to shake mine.
 When we met with one Bedouin family, the patriarch refused to shake my hand
and his more modern sons (two were airline pilots for Saudi Air) insisted so
he did.  I would not have pushed it.  They are entitled to their opinions
and beliefs.  I am just very glad that I was not born in a country where
women are considered property.

I do have photos of the Bedouin men all sitting on the floor and eating
their chicken and rice with their right hands while the women wait in the
kitchen to eat what is left over.  I will see if I can find them.

Tina