Subject: [Leica] William Eggleston on the Today Show
From: csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:19:41 -0400

Thanks George, refreshing to read that again.  I like the part about his
work not being a step forward, meaning that as far as success in the world
of art and gallery,  photography has plateaued on the fictionalized self
portrait, a la Lucas Samatras, Sherman, etc, Their work lacks factuality and
is sufficiently self-absorbed for the modern art tastes.  Eggleston is
sufficiently self-absorbed but also factual, which modern art looks down
on.  His real contribution is to show the rest of us how to make color
photographs, using color as form as subject in a consistent body of work.
When I started to take his work seriously I realized that color work, done
correctly, is more difficult then B&W.  I gained a similar appreciation for
Bob Dylan when I tried to play his songs.  At first I thought of them as
somewhat banal, a good place to start learning.  It wasn't long until I
understood just how wrong I was.

Chris