Subject: [Leica] William Eggleston on the Today Show
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:22:09 -0500

On Jun 1, 2011, at 1:14 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I find Szarkowski eloquent above all else. He's my favorite photo writer.

>> From: Christopher Saganich <csaganich at gmail.com>
>>

>> Eggleston is interesting, he is non-Descartes, not existential, but
>> focused
>> on remembering the familiar.  He is factual but is mostly driven by
>> composition and light.  Reminds me mostly of Plato's idea that we forget
>> or
>> overlook the obvious, that our history is forgetting the familiar.

>> I wish I
>> has Szarkowski's foward for the Eggleston Guide.

Szarkowski's introduction to Eggleston
<http://www.egglestontrust.com/guide_intro.html>
his conclusion:
"As pictures, however, these seem to me perfect: irreducible surrogates for
the experience they pretend to record, visual analogues for the quality of
one life, collectively a paradigm of a private view, a view one would have
thought ineffable, described here with clarity, fullness, and elegance."

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com