Subject: [Leica] Sebastião Salgado
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 17:51:09 -0400

Its not magic. Its work.
The people who don't feel like calling it work try to make it out as magic.
The thing is the making of a full scale full substance print is not an
exotic and rare thing which requires extreme mechanizations  and contortions
it just required applied technique.
Most photographers  had darkrooms and they or their assistants did it on  a
regular  basis commercially and sometimes also for the galleries.
Home darkroom work by hobbyists though was a different thing the majority of
which people were taking the first thing out and the output in comparison
was embarrassing but most hobbyists just never had the time nor inclination
to perfect black and white photography let alone take it past the most basic
levels.
Color though was ten times easier even though it required more complicated
chemistry a water bath and a color head.
There were of course a smaller core serious black and white amateurs doing
work even better than the average pro's assistant but those were one out of
every very many darkrooms which were out there. They average guy just wanted
to see if he could make out his kids face. If he could he moved on to the
next neg. thee are no contortions involved Just making another print with
dodging and burring and looking at it critically. Then making a next print
and seeing if it worked out and fine tuning that one. It takes several
sheets of paper to make a print. Though once you've hit on what you need to
do you can then make several. In the end for every neg I'd print from I'd go
through ten or twelve sheets of paper. Hobbyists like to go though one.
There is very little overlap between these two approaches. As there is very
little overlap between the appearance of the result.

Mark

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com