Subject: [Leica] Bad luck with Hong Kong battery
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 15:02:46 -0700

I know I've written of this before, but here it comes again:

For various digital cameras I've usually bought one extra OEM battery
with the camera, and then went looking for third party batteries.
When I bought a newly released camera, it sometimes took 5-6mo.
before third party batteries started showing up, so that's what
started the OEM buying process.

I've bought various third party batteries for Canon, Fuji and
Panasonic P&S cameras, and generally had about twice as many third
party batteries as OEM batteries. These third party batteries cost
about 15-20% of the OEM batteries. I would say about 10% turned out
to be duds. The batteries that worked had about the same capacity and
total length of life as the OEM batteries. Only on the basis that
every battery should work every time at the same level does using the
OEM batteries make sense. As I always carry around a couple of
batteries for the camera I carry, it really doesn't matter that much
if a given battery does not work at that time. Financially, I am
waaaay ahead.

The other third party batteries I've bought have been for Canon
DSLR's, Panasonic m4/3 cameras and for the M8 and M9. The third party
batteries I've bought for the Canons have all worked as well as the
originals with respect to capacity and holding a charge. For recent
cameras (5DmkII and 7d) the third party batteries don't have the
circuitry to tell the cameras about their charge status, so I'm left
in the dark about when they will expire. No real problem, as I carry
extra batteries (as above).

With the Panasonics it's a bit more complicated. Some non-Panasonic
batteries will not work with some firmware versions, so you have to
read the information carefully before buying. If you do that, you're
OK. Again, no problems with capacity or charge holding. Both the
Canon and Panasonic third party batteries cost about 20% of the OEM
batteries; again, a very good cost/benefit ratio.

For the Leicas, I started buying third party batteries right after my
local store told me that the OEM batteries were $150. Now they are
pushing $200. I bought some batteries from Hong Kong, and by now have
bought about 20, which cost me in total less than $300 with shipping.
Of those batteries, 2 have failed and 2 more have low capacity. The
others are OK and have the same capacity as the OEM batteries. Of the
total of 5 OEM Leica batteries I got (bought), one went with one of
the M8's I sold, 1 died and 3 are still OK, but have no higher
capacity than the third party batteries. As none of the batteries for
the Leicas  have a great capacity and as I generally leave the camera
on when I'm carrying it, I go through batteries quickly and carry a
number. No problem with $15 batteries.

It would be frustrating if the third party batteries had a 50% chance
of being poor or worse, but that certainly hasn't been my experience.
At the failure rate outlined above, and at the price differential, I
can't see myself buying another Leica battery.