Subject: [Leica] IMG: Cicada Time
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 18:15:57 -0500

Hi Ted,

The shell is about 1-1/4" long, with a slit in the top where the insect
works it way out.  The insect, when it finishes unfurling itself, is 1.5 -
2.0 inches long.  Their mating call, a loud buzzing sound that goes on
forever, irritates a lot of folks, but we who have hearing deficiencies
aren't bothered that much.  They will be "doing their thing" for about six
weeks.

Thanks for your comments.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA