Subject: [Leica] IMG: Cicada Time
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 07:55:35 -0700

Jim Nichols showed:

> We are told that the 13-year Cicadas are coming out of hibernation in
> Middle Tennessee.  When I picked up the newspaper this morning, I saw one
> clinging to the mailbox post.
>
> The first image shows the recently emerged Cicada clinging to its old
> shell while drying out.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cicada+63.jpg.html
>
> The second image shows the size and markings of the Cicada.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cicada+64.jpg.html
>
> It is still amazing to me that all of that insect can emerge from a slit
> in the back of the shell.

Hi Jim,
Interesting critter! How big are they and what do they feed on? Something
like a grasshopper? Nice close up for details.
cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Cicada Time)
Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] IMG: Cicada Time)