Subject: [Leica] Another shot across the S2 Bow... H4D-31
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:38:47 -0400

This gets into other areas and I wonder who is really taking any real shots
at the S2 I don't see anybody foolish enough.
Its not going to be  used for serious landscapes? We'll see and I doubt
that:

The other arias are serious landscape shooters don't shoot 35mm configured
cameras so much.  Very few of them used a Pentax 6x7 which was for people
who wanted medium format but could not abide by a camera not configured like
a 35.
 If serious landscape shooters shot medium format they shot modular cube
cameras like the Hassy or Bronica or Mamiya. You don't need quick intuitive
handling. Things are done more carefully. Tree's and mountains are not fast
moving objects.
I don't think the Leica S2 is in the same ballpark in the scheme of things
as the Pentax as back then.
With the Leica the optics are bottom line issues and we know we have medium
format very high rez.
Its handling issues though are not an issue.
Serious Landscape work is normally done with a tripod.
Its not a quick shooting thing. Its very carful and meditative.
Like view camera work.

I think in a couple of years we'll see the S2 making more of a dent into
serious landscape work than the Pentax 6x7 did. Despite the cost. And many
people got into the Pentax because it was really amazingly low cost.

Mark William Rabiner