Subject: [Leica] Mother's Day
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 08:09:40 -0700

Jim Nichols ASKED:

>> I had one thought from a technical point of view.  I see that you, like
>> myself, tend to frame things in different proportions.  Can you handle
>> this easily in laying out pages?  Or, do the image shapes have to be of
>> similar dimensions?<<<<

Hi Jim,
Usually what happens is the size and shape of the book is determined and the
photos are dropped on the pages to fit the size and shape .

Quite often the "Square format" of a book is handy as it will accommodate
horizontal and vertical sized photographs. A vertical book is great if the
bulk of the photos are of portrait shape.

My published books initially were vertical shape. But future publishers went
to square format as it meant a larger size and more appreciation of the
photography.

In Steve's book I imagine he'll choose the square format simply because his
images are in both directions. We shall see?

cheers,
ted