Subject: [Leica] Luggers in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee
From: abbeyfoto at gmail.com (Chris Birchenhall)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:13:31 +0100

Ted

"How do we turn it around and stop it without decimating the world
population and industrial empires whose products are increasingly demanded
by humans?"

Lets assume for one moment the emissions from the human species
lifestyle/technology is responsible. In this context your ironic question
reflects a deep pessimistic understanding that the animal species, including
humans, are mainly focused on the well being of their children and
grandchildren - that is our evolutionary heritage. Yet our technology
requires us to comply with the needs of "division of labour" and
cooperation. Here we have the fundamental conflict between pursuing our
direct interests and the interests of the larger group. Unfortunately the
evidence is that the former can so easily outweight th latter.  It is not
clear political devices can overcome this conflict, particularly in a
multinational context. This is not to suggest we become fatalistic but it
does suggest it is not going to be easy.

Population growth is relevant and controversial, but Malthus may need to be
reconsidered, particularly if we reasonably assume the ever larger
population will wish to attain, if not exceed, the lifestyle experienced by
many of the world today - which is my take on your second phrase quoted
above.

Chris B