Subject: [Leica] Luggers in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 02:38:51 -0400

While I do believe that global warming is occurring, I don't think it
has much bearing on the squall line of tornadoes that this last week
has seen. We've only been collecting this specific data for about 100
years, maybe just a bit longer but the real research into severe
weather is rather young.
Anyways, the models don't really suggest that such a local effect is
anything but a wave in the jet. It's definitely a record setting April
with number of tornadoes in CONUS but we've had several spring seasons
which were very severe during the last few decades. There isn't really
a pattern aside from the el nino / la nina variation in moisture over
the eastern Pacific but that's taken into account so this has just been
a "perfect storm" with regard to all the components being in place at
the right time.
This isn't discounting any effect of global warming but there is no
data to suggest that it contributed. Had it, we'd have been having
increasing intensity and frequency of storms like these over the last
20 years which we haven't.
We can't discount the fact that we're a global community now
communicating instantly across the whole planet. We hear about more and
with more frequency. We're also assaulted by the same information from
various media we surround ourselves with. This is to say that we've had
some incredible storms in the past, we always do, but they don't often
hit urban areas like happened this week in St. Louis, Tuscaloosa,
and Birmingham. F4 tornadoes hit yearly but most often in very rural
areas, sometimes going almost unnoticed.
Anyways, I just like to play devil's advocate, especially with the
weather and the media field day that it sometimes creates.

All that said, what has happened this last week with severe weather is
absolutely horrible. A friend of mine was over today helping us with
the porch and he's from Birmingham. He wasn't in a good mood since the
place where he grew up is gone. His family is ok but we've seen what
happened to the area. My thoughts go out to all those who have been
affected.

Phil Forrest