Subject: [Leica] Digital Pinhole for Micro 4/3
From: kingfisher at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:38:03 -0700

A pinhole really doesn't have a "focal length"; the location of the
pinhole establishes the perspective. There can be no formula for
determination of the size of the image circle that covers everybody
because all pinholes are not the same. The typical drilled ones (laser,
mechanical, makes no difference) are actually small tubes, which limits
their coverage. The best pinholes are made in extremely thin material
and have knife-sharp edges, or the closest approximation to that possible.

The various sites that George mentions will give you formulae for the
size of the hole needed, but it might be important to note that each
formula is predicated upon certain assumptions. These include the
tradeoff between resolution and diffraction, and the particular
wavelength that one accepts as a standard. Generally, the wavelength is
assumed to be in the green range. As for resolution/diffraction, unless
you want something unusual, like enhanced diffraction colors, a
published formula ought to work fine for you.

Now, MAKING the hole to spec - that's another issue! If you buy one, you
get a tube.