Subject: [Leica] OT: Yellow gone gone gone
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:36:57 -0700

This is going to be a long story, so those not interested or likely
to be amused, stop reading here.

During WWII, between undergraduate and graduate work, I was on the
Manhattan Project in Chicago--yes, I'm THAT old. At one point, I was
working with (for) a guy who was designing a lab instrument to be
used where there was much radiation, i.e. had to be controlled
remotely. He wanted mica absorbers of various thicknesses to be
lowered on demand in the path of a particle beam. I became one of the
world's best mica splitters! But we wanted thicker mica to carry
these fragile foils. The problem was: how do you cement together a
mica sandwich?

Having been an amateur photographer, Kodak dry mounting tissue and a
dry mounting press occurred to me as a possibility. It worked fine.
But the day arrived when we had to disassemble one of those
sandwiches. Knowing that dry mounting tissue is largely shellac, I
decided to immerse them in alcohol. It did work, which is why I
thought of that as a way of uncementing lenses. But here is the fun
part of the story. As I was carrying down the hall a half gallon size
beaker filled with 100% government-issue tax-free alcohol, the lab
director asked he what the hell that was for. When I told him, he
ordered me to color it with red ink to keep the janitorial staff from
drinking it. Well, I got it nice and pink, but as I walked with it
down the hall, a beam of sunlight hit it and it glowed the most
brilliant, sickly, green. I guess the dye in that ink was fluorescein.

Herb