Subject: [Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:18:43 -0700

Bob,

The perspective depends on where you are, not on the focal length of
the lens. There is a conception that a wide-angle lens produces an
exaggerated perspective. Not true. The exaggeration is because, for
the same image size, you photograph from closer with a WA. However,
if you use a WA, you are wider both vertically and horizontally, so
for a pan effect, you are forced to crop out foreground and sky. For
the same size final picture, therefore, you should be better off
panning and stitching with a longer lens. More work, of course.

I say all this based on theory. I've never tried stitching--I assume
that's a Photoshop operation.

Herb

--
Herbert Kanner