Subject: [Leica] Photo show advice wanted.
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 23:37:31 -0400

Ken and others, the idea of mounting a photo show on electronic monitors of
large digital photo frames is not my idea. It was floated by one of the
photo show organizers as a means of getting more pictures in a show than the
wall space would permit. Basically he just wanted to know if photographers
would accept the idea. The implication was that the monitors or frames would
be relatively large, say 20" to 27", perhaps iMacs loaned from a computer
distributor. Obviously there are commercial tie ins here but that's not my
concern. I mentioned images on canvas because art shows have already started
showing a portfolio of the work of a painter on digital screens along with a
number of actual paintings. The details of how many pictures per display,
the number of photographers on each display, timing of presentation. hold or
pause buttons, etc. have yet to be worked out. To me it seems like looking
at pictures on a TV, but then I keep the vast majority of my photos in a
computer so who am I to complain.
I suspect that to people in the commercial photography world, viewing
pictures on a monitor is just part of the normal way of doing business. Art
shows now rarely require the actual art works to be juried into shows.
Pictures of the art must be submitted on CD for judging.
Similarly most commercial photos are transmitted electronically and
digitally processed for publication. So I guess in the 21st century paper
prints are on the way out. The question is "Would photographers accept it
for photo shows sooner or later." And if photographers would accept some
digital presentation, how would they like to have it done?
Larry Z