Subject: [Leica] Comparing micro 4/3 and M8
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:47:32 +0200

Hi Simon,

I have both an M8 and a GF1. The M8 is superior because of the Leica lenses
and the inherent accuracy of rangefinder focusing. I do occasionally use my
M lenses on the GF1 but frankly, it is just not that easy to get accurate
focus, unless the subject is not moving (in which case it is easy, using the
magnification of the viewfinder). Each camera has its place. The GF-1 with
the 20mm pancake is so easy to pick up that it is usually the camera I take
when walking my dog, and because of its size it is also the one I take on
cycling trips or any other trips where size and weight are important. The
20mm is a brilliant lens, and gives nothing away to the Leica lenses IMO.
Nonetheless, there are no MFT equivalents for the 35mm 1.2 Voigtlander or
the 28mm Summicron or the excellent 75mm offerings from Leica. So, when I
can, I do take the Leica bag.

If you do buy a used M8, I would advice buying from a shop that provides
some kind of warranty. Notwithstanding people like Tina who get away with
abusing their camera, I find the M8 to be the most fragile camera I have
owned in a long time. In some way it is like an Italian sportscar:
frustrating at times but brilliant in the right conditions.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain