Subject: [Leica] Visoflex Model Refresher......
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:28:52 -0700

Thank you Henning for your info... I had looked at http://elshaw.tripod.com/
but it took some digging to find the info....

This is to document the differences in the models.....
For M Folk only.... I did not research the LTM models/variants....

Visoflex II..... Fits traditional M models.  No instant Return Mirror
Mounts to the body by rotating the whole Visoflex
Visoflex IIa    Fits traditional M models  WITH instant return mirror....
word has it this model is rather hard to find....  Mounts to the body by
rotating the whole Visoflex.
Visoflex III     Fits M5 and M8/M9 as well, With instant return mirror....
Uses a rotating M mount ring to fit to the body.

In order to use the Visoflex II or III on an M8 or M5, you must use the
later Visoflex prism housing... the one with the rectangular eyepiece and
the no-step attachment area.. Else use the "chimney" right angle magnifier.

There seems to be some question on the arm issue.... relative to the M5,
which have a slightly different relative shutter release mechanism
location.... From the above reference....
" Leica produced two different types of arm for the Visoflex III, and one of
these was produced specifically for use with the M5/Visoflex III
combination, and it appears to be a very hit or miss level of success in
finding out which one you have.  ..... The actuating arm of the original
Visoflex III has a different curvature than the arm they created for the M5.
The arm needed for the M5 is straighter and due to the M5's increase in
height has a longer screw. How can you tell that you have the right arm for
your Visoflex III and M5? Everything will work. If you don't have the right
arm, you may have a misalignment of the arm to the shutter release, or you
may be able to trigger the mirror, but it won't auto-return for your next
shot.  .... Leica can supply an arm for the Viso III that will fully
function on the M5. Although the new arm looks identical to the earlier one;
the trick is that the hole where it mounts onto the body of the Viso is cut
at a slightly different angle, so that the mirror will release just a tad
sooner.  It is part # 042-717.001-185"

Seems like the arm issue is a M5 issue only.

Not so sure about the M6TTL nor the MP nor M7 models.....  As soon as I
figure parts of that one out, I will post an update

PS: I have no idea what the official Leica names for these gadgets is/are...
I am using a visual representation to make things easy to spot in person or
by pictures.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net