Subject: [Leica] OT: New computer, price vs. performance
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:28:53 +0530

Peter,
Dell has the most awful and atrocious after sales service you can imagine,
at least here in India - so check that out. Buy from the local clone shop,
and specify parts - it is what I do, because service is generally much
better and quicker. For most of our processing, the single most important
factor is RAM, the second is the efficiency of the hard drive, especially
the one with the Windows/Photoshop scratch disks. I have an i7 920 processor
with a Intel motherboard that I bought as a package (I never overclock so a
plain vanilla motherboard is fine), a last generation Nvidia 8800 graphic
card, but I have two small capacity drives running the operating system and
scratch disks (one for each), 4 TB of application/data storage disks and 16
GB RAM. I am thinking of replacing the two smaller drives with SSDs to speed
things up a little more.
Cheers
Jayanand