Subject: [Leica] OT: New computer, price vs. performance
From: pasvorn at (Pasvorn Boonmark)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:04:45 -0700

> Would I gain any real, practical increase in photo editing performance if
> I spent the extra money for a quad core processor as opposed to a dual
> core?

I think the question of how much improvement you get depends on the
software that you are using.  On some test, less core with higher
clock CPU yields faster performance than multiple-core CPU with lower

I'm not familiar with any of your software, but I'm sure you can send
email to support and ask them about it.

BTW, I'm in a process of building another desktop system.  Partially,
I would like to try the NAS storage with ZFS as discussed earlier.  I
may do some light duty photo editing with GIMP.
I probably load Linux on this one.

I'm going with an AMD dual-core at 3.2GHz with 4G mem, but may upgrade
to 8Gig later.
I don't think there is much difference between AMD v.s. Intel.  It is
just that AMD is a bit cheaper.

Good luck.