Subject: [Leica] IMG: Foot Tunnel underneath River Thames
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 00:08:32 +0100

Now that brings back memories!! Thanks for posting it
Philippe

I used to take a bus down to the Isle of Dogs and then
walk form there down to the isle of Dogs and through
that tunnel almost every weekend to get some fresh air
in the park at Greenwich.

I lived for almost two years in a flat above a disused
shop in Campbell Road in Bow (Tower Hamlets) before
everything was demolished and redeveloped - I left
London and relocated to Germany in July 1974).

In those days, the docklands were still mostly derelict
and the area was not the most salubrious of places -
but at least it was the cheapest place to live close to
the centre of London.

The last time I went back, I could hardly recognise
anything - all the good pubs were gone or tarted up and
the character of the area had disappeared completely
(If you ever saw "East Enders", it's not far from the
mark. only in the early seventies it was a lot rougher)

Cheers
Douglas