Subject: [Leica] Cataract surgery
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 01:33:28 -0800

LUG:  I'm going to have cataract surgery in my right (dominant) eye in a
couple of weeks.  My left eye is fine.

I'm told that I will probably have a choice.  I can get my right eye
corrected for distance. Or get it corrected to be approximately the same
as my left eye, which currently has a distance prescription of -3.00, no
astigmatism.

Has anyone on the LUG had to make this choice?  What did you decide, and
how did it work out for you?

Background:  I've been nearsighted and worn glasses most of my life.  I
wore monovision contacts for the past several years. They worked well
for general use during the day--I could see, drive, do casual things on
the computer, read menus, etc.   When working extensively at the
computer during the day, I wore a pair of cheap reading glasses from
which I'd removed the left lens, so both my eyes were "set" to computer
distance.  At night, I took out the contacts and used regular bifocals
or computer glasses.

This arrangement worked well until the past year, when the cataract's
effects made monovision too much of a compromise.

The idea of having my right eye perfect for distance appeals to me, as I
could do without glasses a large portion of the time. And (not
incidentally) use a Leica RF without glasses.  But this is "for keeps,"
so I want to be sure I make the right choice for the right reasons.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Cataract surgery)
Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Cataract surgery)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Cataract surgery)