Subject: [Leica] M8 & 8.2 opinions
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:24:50 +0000 (GMT)

Whilst it is true that a substantial minority of modern professional cameras
have seals of some sort it is a relatively recent but growing development,
as
Mark points out. Certainly more desirable nowadays since cameras are now
computers with a lens mount.

The first camera I owned with seals was a Canon EOS 1Ds mk2 I got in about
2004
ish after 45 years of using traditional cameras. Most of my Canon lenses are
older than this and have no sealing, so I am still careful.
I tried an Olympus 150mm f2 lens on a E3 which was stellar when in focus,
which
it almost never was, certainly near infinity where small movements are
required,
probably due to stiction in the seals causing the autofocus to have a wide
dead
band. I would have removed the seals if I needed to use it...
FD