Subject: [Leica] M8 & 8.2 opinions
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:17:19 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>wrote:

>As for bad weather, despite the assurances you get here, my experience is
>that the M8 is not a camera for bad weather. In fact, I >managed to screw
>mine up just by wearing it around my neck while cycling at a leisurely pace
>along the beach. The occasional drop of >sweat that fell on the camera in
>the process was enough to leak into the M8 and corrode stuff in the area of
>the shutter release. >Fortunately, I still had my Passport warranty so it
>was fixed free of charge, but when there is a chance of rain, I now take
>other cameras, >or even a film body.

Wow.  If you can't count on a multi-thousand dollar camera to be reliable in
various weather conditions, what's the point.  I want a camera that I can
use anywhere I'm likely to be.  My M3 has been wetted in rain countless
times.  I like to be gentle with my equipment, but when I've seen a picture
I was compelled to get, I've gone for it, not babying it.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu