Subject: [Leica] A short walk from my house
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 22:10:02 -0800

Herbert Kanner offered:

> I've not been very pleased with my results lately. I'm inclined to think
> it's partly because the ease of shooting with a digital camera keeps me
> from thinking. When I shot film, I paid more attention to what I was
> doing. Well, cest la vie; I'll learn.

Hi Herb
We did, all of us, even though some may say they didn't! But without
question when I might have a 1000 rolls of film with me in some God Forsaken
part of Canada's Arctic, I watched far more of how I was using the film
compared to digital. Today with digital when I'm shooting an assignment I'm
far more inclined to shoot more images, slightly different angles than what
I would have using film. And I poably delete more! :-(

The other point with film? We were always under the constraints of 36
frames, change roll. ERGO; there was always the inclination to watch how
many frames were shot? Or remaining?

DIGITAL ERA: Regradless of whomever, we all shoot far more frames with
digital than we ever did on film. Does this make us better photographers?
NOPE! Just means we shoot more frames and throw more away after looking on
screen and asking ourselves the same old question?.... "WHAT THE HELL WERE
YOU THINKING?"

But then we learn to see better, look harder and use our "art of
observation" technique and we do becom better and more selective of what we
shoot. However, it does take a bit of time before we get it through our
heads. Until then, we do shoot lots of plain old fashion digital garbage
exposures! " :-(

 > This is just an oak tree a block from my house. Since oaks are not
> the most common trees in Palo Alto, I did not realize until I saw a
> picture in today's paper that all oaks tend to look tortured.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Tortured+Tree.jpg.html

Herb trust me, Oak trees like this grow twisted and appearing tortured all
over the place on SouthernVancouver Island. The Gary Oak is the most bent
out of shape tree you can ever imagine. :-)

> I've passed this psychedelic car many times, but never thought to
> photograph it.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Car+on+Drugs.jpg.html

OK, the car yer on yer own! We see the odd one around here in the summer
tourist months...... however it usually has USA licence plates! ;-)

> A bit further on was an interesting group of birch trees.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Stand+of+Birch.jpg.html
Not many birch out here on the west coast compared to Eastern Canada where
great groves of them grow and are beautiful to photograph in the fall with
their pure white bark and beautiful yellow leaves.

> Finally, this expresses my amazement at the quality of the twenty to
> thirty year old f/2 35mm Summicron (Made in Canada). <<<<<<

But really? It's a Leica lens, what would you expect no matter how old it
is? :-) :-)

>I was under a tulip tree, left the 90mm lens at home. So here was this
>flower way up there. I just snapped the tree and cropped the hell out of
>the picture. Amazed that the result was any good at all. I should have
>posted the uncropped picture just for bragging rights, but I guess you know
>how good even real old Leica lenses are. <<<

Like you it would never have occured to me to post the whole frame for
comparison, after all it's a Leica lens therefore why even think about it.
Shoot - print! :-)
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Tulip+Tree+Flower.jpg.html

> Finally, I periodically try to get some shots at my bird feeder with the
> 90mm lens.
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Bird+Feeder.jpg.html<<<<<<

Well Ok but yer only working about 200mm short on the lens! ;-)

> And I noticed another bird watcher looking out the window.
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Another+Bird+Watcher.jpg.html

Well that maybe. But he/she really doesn't look like they were going through
the window after fresh warm meat! :-)
Thanks for posting.
cheers,
ted