Subject: [Leica] A short walk from my house
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:06:35 -0800

I've not been very pleased with my results lately. I'm inclined to
think it's partly because the ease of shooting with a digital camera
keeps me from thinking. When I shot film, I paid more attention to
what I was doing. Well, cest la vie; I'll learn.

Anyway, I recently went for a short walk from my house and tried to
make each photo count. Nevertheless, I took two to three shots of the
ones where the best vantage point was not obvious.

This is just an oak tree a block from my house. Since oaks are not
the most common trees in Palo Alto, I did not realize until I saw a
picture in today's paper that all oaks tend to look tortured.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Tortured+Tree.jpg.html

I've passed this psychedelic car many times, but never thought to
photograph it.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Car+on+Drugs.jpg.html

A bit further on was an interesting group of birch trees.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Stand+of+Birch.jpg.html

Finally, this expresses my amazement at the quality of the twenty to
thirty year old f/2 35mm Summicron (Made in Canada). I was under a
tulip tree, left the 90mm lens at home. So here was this flower way
up there. I just snapped the tree and cropped the hell out of the
picture. Amazed that the result was any good at all. I should have
posted the uncropped picture just for bragging rights, but I guess
you know how good even real old Leica lenses are.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Tulip+Tree+Flower.jpg.html

Finally, I periodically try to get some shots at my bird feeder with
the 90mm lens.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Bird+Feeder.jpg.html

And I noticed another bird watcher looking out the window.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Another+Bird+Watcher.jpg.html

C&C Welcome

Herb

--