Subject: [Leica] unboxing
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:21:46 +0000

On the Nikon (and Olympus) there would be an incremental increase in cost
since titanium is more difficult to press than brass, which is what the Ti
covers replaced, but the whole of the rest of the camera was unchanged so
the incremental cost would not be all that much.
In this M9 the parts replaced are more numerous and machined, not pressed,
the cutting tool and cutting speeds for titanium are different than the
brass and magnesium alloys from which the normal bodies are made. This means
a new manufacturing programme. I don't know whether the main body halves are
Ti instead of Mg, or if the revealed metal part is a trim on a standard Mg
body, bit if all the machined parts of the camera are Ti then the extra cost
is massive.
Whether it is worth the extra is another thing...
Frank D