Subject: [Leica] Ancient TV relic
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:36:05 -0500

The change to digital over-the-air broadcasting was the kiss of death for
this relic from the past.  I just haven't had the time or energy to take it
down.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Relic.jpg.html

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols

- - - - -

Jim,

It's a nice photo -  but the antenna is still useful. I have one exactly
like it in my attic, pointed at the NYC TV and FM stations about 70 miles
away. The front part of the antenna is a UHF array which should pick up the
digital broadcasts. The longer elements will work on FM broadcasts. You need
a converter box which will enable your newfangled digital TV to work with
over the air signals. These were sold for 20 or 30 bucks a couple of years
ago with a rebate from the government that reduced the price to almost
nothing. You probably can pick one up at Goodwill really cheap. In my area I
can get 4 or 5 over the air local TV stations, each of which broadcasts
several channels. We also have cable but it's convenient to have an antenna
in reserve. Admittedly the reception suffers in the rain and is a bit noisy
because of the weak signal, but no worse than a Leica at a high ISO.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Ancient TV relic)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Ancient TV relic)
Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] Ancient TV relic)