Subject: [Leica] When did Kodachrome really die?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:12:00 +0100

Very good point, Sonny. My trajectory was similar to yours. When I lived in
Switzerland from 2000 to 2003, I used Kodachrome as my primary color film (I
had used it while living in the US and Belgium prior to that as well, but
more mixed with E6 stuff). Turnaround was good, 3-4 days usually, since
Kodak's European processing was all done in Lausanne. But in 2003 I moved to
the Netherlands and the turnaround time became 2-3 weeks all of a sudden,
while on the other hand there was a good pro lab on my way to work which had
same-day E6 service. So it was all various flavors of Fujichrome from then
on. In late 2004 I bought my first DSLR and I have not shot any color film
since (B&W, yes, but no color).

I think many of the tears over the loss of Kodachrome were shed by people
who had stopped using it long ago and were really nostalgic about their
youth rather than the actual film.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman