Subject: [Leica] M9 not writing files
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 10:10:33 +1000
References: <002501cbc514$b26dcff0$17496fd0$@co.nz> <AANLkTim78dP01-YkdpcvZJj5bva1PwmuX-LrmiFK6HMt@mail.gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E902BF2C@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <00b901cbc544$b272b120$17581360$@earthlink.net> <002701cbc574$2a0993a0$7e1cbae0$@co.nz> <002d01cbc580$d0ac9c50$7205d4f0$@co.nz> <AANLkTimCS29O10NMsStBwa2Uk-vhNe7jC3KDuDNnCKE1@mail.gmail.com> <002e01cbc587$5e30e2b0$1a92a810$@co.nz>

 > Do not cut and paste from the card
> Why? Done that for years with CF cards

To reduce the variables with file writing.  If you are using LR I don't
follow why you would want to do it that way.
Setting up import with LR correctly has several advantages. Automated
copying to the correct structure/location with lossless compression of DNGs.
Optional additional copy to different location (eg.another HDD), optionally
apply develop settings you may like, file renaming, keywording, adding to
catalogue for some. Automated ejection of your card from the computer after
import too (not physical ;-)
 Doing it your way is like using a chainsaw to cut firewood without starting
it up ;-)

>  realised at the time there was an issue, I went to review files when
> nothing much was going on and saw I was missing a few minutes worth. I
> shoot
> DNG+JPEG and there were no jpegs either.
>
> The M9 is slow to write to the card compared to dSLRs. Choosing to save
both DNG and JPEG is the slowest of all since the camera is doing the most
processing and writing the most data.
Even without the additional JPEGS the M9 is slower than the M8 in that
respect despite having two instead of one processors since you are dealing
with much larger files.
For uncompressed DNG plus JPEG fine that is more than ~40MB per shot. Much
more likely to fill your buffer (and your card) too quickly even with
a modest shooting pace. Be careful not to interrupt the writing to card too.
Doing anything while you still have a blinking light is more likely to cause
problems with data loss.
Really no good reasons to save in camera JPEGs as well anyway. LR will
generate a set of JPEGs automatically for you with a few clicks.