Subject: [Leica] IMG: Train content - The Great Marquess in the rain - Jayanand
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:16:19 +0100

Thanks Jayanand,

the narrow gauge line to Simla must be a real adventure
- the descriptions of Simla in the Kipling books always
fascinated me as a child.

Ah well - maybe some day when I'm rich and famous;-)

Dyed in the wool railway freaks (aka "anoraks") can
really be a PITA -I just take pictures of trains and
have to look up what class they are;-)

The preserved railway where I usually shoot has about
16 miles of track and generally runs three different
steam locos every day in the spring-summer-autumn
season. They have about a dozen of their own steam
locomotives, quite a few diesels and often have guest
engines (like the Great Marquess).

The steam traction units are all in the sheds at the
moment, undergoing winter servicing.

As the line has no facilities for turning the engines
around, they have to regular exchange the wheels from
one side to the other to compensate for wear on the
running surfaces caused by friction in curves.

Two or three are in for boiler refits and one for a
complete rebuild, so they are currently looking at
bills amounting to about 1 million pounds.

A large part of this came from donations last year, the
rest of the sum donated - 850,000 GBP - went into
replacing one of the bridges along the line. The bridge
had served the line since 1865 without any problems but
had begun to show weaknesses that threatened to close
down services.

Cheers
Douglas