Subject: [Leica] Re. Travels
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:52:50 +0530

Peter,
Thanks. I will post a colour picture of Somnath, but it is also made of
sandstone, so it will look pretty similar to the Sun Temple in colour.
Remember Somnath is a very recent building - though it is culturally very
important, having been built on the ruins of a temple destroyed 250 years
before, it is architecturally less so. The reason for sacking Somnath the
first two or three times was probably pecuniary - it is bang on the
traditional sea trading route from Arabia to India, and legend has it that
it had wealth beyond the dream of avarice.

You Baniyan link brings me to the most interesting thing that has happened
in Gujarat recently - its politics. The Chief Minister of Gujarat is a man
named Narendra Modi, who is without doubt the most polarising figure in
Indian politics today, belonging to the BJP, a centre-right pro Hindu party,
and the man in charge when some horrifying riots took place in 2002
targeting the Muslims (after which even the USA refused him a visa). He is
also without any shadow of doubt the best administrator in India and
personally uncorruptable. The state of Gujarat is the best developed and has
been the fastest growing state here for quite a few years. He has won
election after election in Gujarat, because of the long list of Muslim
atrocities over the last 15 centuries or so, the Hindus vote en bloc for
him. The interesting thing is in the local elections held across the state a
couple of months ago, he swept the state, including dozens of Muslim
majority seats. Just proves my long held that development and jobs are the
best way to erase centuries old religious tensions - if you have to work
from 9-5, you have no time to shout slogans in the streets, and people will
vote for such politicians, even if such a person is perceived to be a
murderer by that community at large! I would also think that all this crap
about beliefs in politicians that we endlessly argue about is irrelevant as
long as they are administratively able, and deliver what they promise to the
people who have elected them.

Cheers
Jayanand