Subject: [Leica] what's up with Leica and the lack of lenses?
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:33:04 +0800

I can think of a few reasons:

1. Massive layoff of the workforce a few years ago.  The Leica production
capacity is significantly smaller than before.

2. The M9 has driven up demand for certain lenses, especially 35mm and 50mm.

3. Much higher demand from new markets such as China and Russia.

4. Much of the Leica output end up in more affluent markets such as China
and Russia, where more profit can be made.  Exports to former major markets
such as North America and Europe have decreased.

You will find much M9, S2, Noctilux 50/0.95 ASPH, Summilux 35 ASPH FLE,
Summilux 21/24 in shops in Shanghai and Beijing.  The M9 Titanium has proved
to be very popular with the Chinese market.

Joseph