Subject: [Leica] Apple 27" LED Display Questions
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:45:59 -0500

2011-01-21-13:59:15 A. Lal:
> I am, of course, aware of the Eizos.  Sorry to say they are beyond
> my budget. Do you use one? If so it would be interesting to hear how
> well these expensive graphics monitors age.

I don't wish to browbeat people who don't choose to pay top dollar for
a monitor; I was just responding to an earlier poster who seemed to
think monitor hardware lookup tables were some sort of exclusive NEC
innovation.

I've had an Eizo C-series monitor for...  I dunno, three years or so
now?  It seems to be holding up.  Periodic calibrations seem to keep
it in line.  I really don't know what to look for in terms of aging
effects...

One oddity I noticed is that, even after calibrating both with an i1
sensor, the Eizo (running in its closest approximation of Adobe98),
seemed to render things a touch hotter or more saturated than the
Apple Cinema display on the other port of my dual-monitor setup.  I
found that proofing things on the Apple monitor was more likely to
give me web jpegs which looked the way I expected on other people's
monitors, and proofing on the Eizo seemed to result in fewer surprises
when printing.

Go figure.  Maybe that even makes sense.  But it also goes to show you
that, monitor and printer/paper/ink calibration or no, there's no such
thing as a sensitometric solution which just works in a plug-and-play
fashion.  It's all lies.

I'm sure our Saloonkeeper can provide plenty of rants on this subject.

> BTW, thanks for the suggestions on the Squeezebox. I have set up an
> Intel dual core Atom based mini-itx server running Vortexbox. It is
> serving FLAC and MP3 files to three SB appliances and a Sony PS3.

Oh, glad that worked out!

 -Jeff

Message from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Apple 27" LED Display Questions)
Message from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Apple 27" LED Display Questions)