Subject: [Leica] FEATURE PHOTOGRAPHY SECTION. :-) HOW IT'S DONE! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:10:56 -0800

Peter Dzwig offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] FEATURE PHOTOGRAPHY SECTION. :-)

> I'm not even going to  try...I got to be assistant on a shoot like this
> for a
> sales brochure a while back. The photog was a pro (but obviously nothing
> like
> Ted) and very good, but...these can be more difficult than you imagine
> when you
> start out, even with it all laid on and everyone willing and helpful.
>
> Of about fifty shots about six were used by the editor and even then the
> owner
> grumbled...a lot!
> > Peter

Hi Folks,
Well Peter like you, I've been around a shooter doing "sort of" what my
assignment is. Who had a ton of lights, stands, small step ladder, big
reflectors, a couple of assistants, a huge tripod and a big bag of other
stuff! But constantly going about wringing his hands in a worrying motion
about everything and changing small bits around to supposedly make it look
better!   Nearly everytime a piece of something was moved the supposed
visual enhancement made the scene a wreck! Well that was my opinion. :-)

Always use the KISS principal and you rarely go wrong. :-) We are visual
people, we react to things visually, if a room makes you ... "WOW! Cool
room!" Why screw around changing things? Just like being out side shooting a
scenic.... "shoot it because you've been motivated, so why not?"  So for
heaven sakes why start  moving things about.

Anyway then there's my KISS way! :-)

Writer and self arrive at home, we're in the door, jackets and shoes off, a
quick meet and greet. Writer and home owners go do their thing... interview.
Now they're all outta my face!  :-)

Me & KISS? one SLR Canon, 10 -- 22  super wide zoom lens and my one good
eye! :-)

You notice I didn't mention... lighting gear ... assistant ... tripod or
camera bag? I left it by the front door. Why carry it around? Just one more
thing you may forget putting it down somewhere in the room, not notice it
when you make the exposure ...... Trust me, you sure as heck will find it on
the computer screen as the image pops up and you will scream all kinds of
unrepeatable things about your mental state and forefathers!

And off I go roaming about.... "ooohhh look at that WOW!" Click! Move on.
"LOOK AT THAT... CLICK!"  The hardest part , actually not very hard, was
making sure the verticals were straight in the internal viewfinder of the
camera. But after you've done it a few thousand times I guess it's just part
of the seeing process while looking through the viewfinder.

You go freely about looking for photo moments without any others around
distracting your visual concentration.Or drawing your attention way from
subjects you might find. Worse? Pointing out things they think are
interesting. When this occurs politely ask them to "get out of your face and
the room!" :-) But be polite!

Quite  frankly you approach it no differently than walking the country side
looking for the magical moment scene.

Great way to spend a couple of picture taking hours. Getting paid! That's
the best part of having some afternoon fun!;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] OUR BOOK ?????????????????????)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] FEATURE PHOTOGRAPHY SECTION. :-))