Subject: [Leica] I need HUG and lens advice
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:50:05 -0800 (PST)

Try the HUG.

As far as I know, the "C" lenses are the first of the newer lenses. Some
have
the T* coating and some don't. Try to get one with the coating as it
provides
more accurate color rendition and less flare. There are other differences,
but
minor if you get a flawless one. The greatest risk is the shutter is old and
unused and screwed up.

Then the CF lenses were made to be used with the?bodies that could shoot
either
the lens's leaf shutter or the body's focal plane shutter. The CFi
lenses?are
the newest and have improvements in the?internal baffling to reduce
reflection
and better leaf shutters in the lenses. There are also improvements in lens
design, external design, etc. CFe lenses are the equivalent to the CFi
lenses
but have the electronic interface for the 2-- series bodies. All lenses are
backwards compatible (e.g., the CFe lenses work with the 500 series bodies).

FE lenses only work with the 2-- series focal plane bodies; they have no
internal leaf shutter and are lighter and have larger aperture capabilities.

If you have a 1.3 crop factor, edge performance is?irrelevant. I have all CF
and
CFi lenses and use them so I know the shutters are good.?My crop factor is
1.1
or, with film, 1.0. :-)

I know Alistair on this list has a CFV back; I assume that's what you're
considering. If so, the 50 or 60 (which you can find cheaper probably) would
be
normal (i.e. about a 75 -80 in MF). The 60 might be a better choice as it
uses a
Bay 60 filter like most the other lenses. The 50 CFi/FLE uses a Bay 70 and
the
40 CFi/FLE requires a rather Rube Goldberg approach to have filter system
ability.

A 40 would be a 52 which is beginning wide angle. IMO not worth the cost of
the
40 to only use part of it. The 30s are even more expensive, though I don't
think
they have a fisheye effect (especially cropped).

Be careful of the screen you get on your body. Older screens are pretty dark.

My advice would be to get a film back, shoot film and scan it with the
Imacon at
KSP.... You could scan hundreds of negatives/positives for much less than
the
cost of?a used back....
Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA