Subject: [Leica] Using ICC profiles with Epson printers
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 22:43:16 -0500

Profiles do not add to the media types in the driver. You use the profiles
in Photoshop or lightroom to convert the image to the proper output profile
at the time of printing. In photoshop, you use the PRINT WITH PREVIEW
command and there you can choose an output profile, the new profiles should
be listed there if they installed correctly.

What about the driver? What if the paper isn't listed in the driver's media
types? Epson's instructions with the paper will tell you which media type to
use if the paper is not one listed in the media types in the driver. The
profiles would have been made with a media type that Epson found to work
well with the non-standard paper. Non-epson papers work like this too.
Ilford says to use the Premium Semigloss photo paper media type for their
Gold Fibre Silk paper, for example.

In the driver, you select the media type recommended and then choose NO
COLOR MANAGEMENT under the Color Management settings. No color management is
used because Photoshop already did the color management when you choose the
profile in the Print With Preview settings.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook