Subject: [Leica] IMG: Northern Israel border areas
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 14:44:27 -0800

Note: These images include border and disputed areas. Please, no politics.

Jordan River from the pre-1967 Syrian side. It's much smaller than your
would expect.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007569.jpg.html>

Pre-1967 Syrian fortifications about 100 feet/30 meters up the lower
slopes of the Golan Heights, which begin rising just east of the river.
The second pictures shows why the barbed wire is still there.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007576.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007582.jpg.html>

A view of part of the Israeli Hula valley from the Golan Heights (same
vantage point as above). We're about 100 feet (30m) up the slopes.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007580.jpg.html>

Looking back at the Golan Heights from an Israeli farm in the center of
the Hula Valley. The top is about 3000 feet (915m) up.  You can see how
the Golan Heights dominate the valley. From up there, if you can see it,
you can shell it.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007585.jpg.html>

Tel Hai/Kiryat Shemona: Memorial to eight Israeli reserve soldiers, and a
fragment of the Katyusha rocket that killed them on this spot during the
beginning of the 2006 war in Lebanon. See my shadow on the left for scale.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007597.jpg.html>

Looking into Syria (still lit by the sunset) from a viewpoint near the
current armistice line. The white buildings in the foreground are a UN
compound.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007611.jpg.html>

Local Druze farmer, from the same viewpoint.  He had some of the best
apples and honey I've ever tasted.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/7-North/L1007617.jpg.html>

--Peter

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] IMG: Northern Israel border areas)