Subject: [Leica] Making a living as a photographer
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 00:10:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 <tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:

>I don't know how someone can handle such daily idiocy same old routine year
>after year! I'd much rather the constant "Unknown of the day and what it
>will bring!" More time than not, some of the most incredible assignments
>about the world and locally. Never a bore and always well paid.

>cheers,
>ted
Good on you, Ted, for your drive.  I must have the opposite personality,
since I like being a (rare) staff photographer, where someone else deals
with setting rates, and I only have to photograph and archive.  I'm coming
up on my 37th anniversary in this job (Dec. 17th), and two days later will
be covering probably my 60th commencement ceremony.  I photograph some of
the same events year after year, but I try to approach them as new since for
most of the participants, it IS the first time. This has been my dream job,
and I feel extremely lucky that I have it.  I don't freelance at all,
knowing I'm a poor businessman.  Also, I take the pictures others want all
week and would like to shoot what I like on my time and I don't own the
digital equipment required these days anyway (interestingly, I have a
non-pro friend who has fancier equipment than even our lab does!).  So, I
guess I'm really an "amateur" in that I love taking pictures, although I've
been shooting far fewer for myself in the last ten or so years since I can't
get in the darkroom very often and don't get the same thrill with digital
that I get using (B&W) film.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee