Subject: [Leica] Making a living as a photographer
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 20:12:15 -0800

Marc Dufour offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Making a living as a photographer

>>> When I take my camera, it's just to enjoy photography. Pure pleasure.
> And, sometimes, I even can use the result in my job as a graphic
> designer;-)
> When something you love turns into a job, it stops being fun after a
> while,
> for a vast majority, in most professions. It's true you can expect some
> satisfaction, time to time. But only a few privileged pros can say
> otherwise.<<<

Hi Marc,
It is a very rare occasion I do not have a camera wherever I'm going simply
because, one never knows what joy they might miss if they do not have it.

The terminology by some folks that photography is work is beyond my
comprehension, it's never been work!

"WORK IS MOVING CONCRETE BLOCKS!" How others see their photography as work
has never ever been in my vocabulary or thoughts. WHY?  Well in my case, I
don't care what others may think or say... "My photography involvement is a
calling since I was a child! I always wanted to have a camera and have had
them in hand or near by since May 27 1950 when my wife gave me the first, an
Argus A2 35mm sort of point & shoot for my birthday. Yes I still have it!
In that moment it launched me into an extremely enjoyable life as a
photographer, that I've never looked back on a 60 year life being paid to
travel to many parts of the world, good, bad and ugly! Assignments so
interesting and exciting right out of Hollywood! It sure as hell has never
been boring, physically tiring? Of course, but never boring!

Mine has never been a turn it on at 9 a.m. and off at 5 p.m.! The ability to
see and shoot is always there ready at the blink of an eye! I put time in as
a news-photographer at the beginning of the career, but even then I never
wanted the days to end nor places to go. Eventually teamed with a couple of
extremely fine shooters as partners for 5 years. Then I decided I wanted to
go my own way as one of the partners was a stop at Friday noon and  return
noon Monday. Meanwhile I'm off generating the greatest part of the companies
income. So started my own company and never looked back!

Today I'm just as wired as my younger days! If anything, I absolutely abhor
this aging crap that robs the physical aspect of the body, but never deters
the emotional involvement of looking through a camera at new things and
places! And being involved in any project, whether assigned or the new
medical book project. Hell why not, I'm only in the 82nd year so one should
keep busy for the joy of it or you die! I don't intend on doing that for
sometime yet as there are still many places to photograph and people to
meet! ;-)
I know several very good photographers who've voiced they can't wait to quit
and retire from "their job at the newspaper!" Once again, in my time it has
never been a "job." Whenever I'm camera to eye I'm the happiest camper in
the land.

I'm sure those LUG members who purchased the documentary film DVD about my
career produced by the BRAVO TV network can attest this message comes
through during the interviews and images shown on film.

As scary as some assignments have been, I'd do them all over again just for
the thrill of shooting and being involved in this crazy crazy life I love
with great passion.

Not sure if this means anything to some of you, however maybe you'll
understand my passion about this wonderful profession! Damn I love it so!!

cheers,
ted