Subject: [Leica] Magnum documentary on Chernobyl
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:22:45 +1030

It's great work, photographically.  Factually, it's unfortunately
misleading.  Very detailed epidemiological analysis by UNESCEAR
indicated that only a few hundred cancer cases and no detectable
change in birth defects were associated with the disaster.  I have
seen hospital wards and asylums in other parts of the former USSR that
were not affected by the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl that look just
like these ones.  In a way it's worse - this is not the result of a
nuclear accident, it's just how things are for many sick and disabled
children in these places.

My nicer photos from Russia:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Russia/

Marty