Subject: [Leica] OT: RAID Question
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:54:16 +0000

> I'm hoping some of the more tech savvy folks can help me out here. I'd
> like to
> upgrade my Drobo from 4x1TB drives to 4x1.5TB drives.

In RAID 5? i.e. you can lose one drive and it keeps going

> If I pull all my drives at once, if anything happens to the new 4x1.5TB
> drive setup, I can put the 4x1TB
> drives back in.

I doubt the RAID is that clever, it will have been reconfigured for 4x new
drives. Server RAID can do this but I doubt "consumer" hardware can.

> That will put me back to where I was before I upgraded. I could keep the 4
> old drives offsite too, which would
> help.

You would need exactly the same kit, (hardware/firmware etc) and even then
may not work as above.

> But then I would need to temporarily store the data on the current setup
> somewhere, which is a bit over 2TB. I don't have anywhere to put this data
> temporarily. If I switch the drives 1 at a time, then I can't save the 4
> old
> drives as a backup; they'll reconfigure where the data is stored each time
> I add
> a new 1.5TB drive.

Each time you change a single drive, the other 3 will rebuild the missing
parts from themselves. You have the danger of one of these 3 failing before
the 4th is configured.... You will know at each stage that things have
worked before moving to the next disk, expect quite a few hours per disk and
I would leave a couple of days between disks. Do not expect to go backwards,
perhaps get a couple of external 1.5TB disks to backup all the data during
the transfer just in case?

john

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] OT: RAID Question)