Subject: [Leica] M/V Star Aquarius 90 Cron R on D700
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 05:16:55 +0800

Hi Luggers,
The recent typhoon blew away all the pollution and Hong Kong was in
brilliant sunshine on Sunday morning. We were up early with jet lag -
just back from Vancouver - and walked along the waterfront. Here is
the Star Aquarius coming into the harbour under blue skies from its
latest gambling cruise.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/HK2010_001/

I have followed the many postings about the D700 started by Mark and
would comment that you makes your choices and you live with them.
I chose the D700 and will have shortly rebayonted all my R lenses to
leitax N mounts. Leica glass is in almost all cases the best one can
get - but since DMR backs are a dying breed - to keep using R glass
one needs to migrate the lenses to another platform. For my money, for
my uses, the D700 is simply the best around and I do enjoy getting out
and using the R lenses. For long telephoto work where quick accurate
focusing is required, based on my experience last year with Jayanand
shooting tigers in India, I have moved away from R glass because, Doug
is absolutely right, you need the auto diaphragm feature to enable
accurate wide open focusing and to maintain some depth of field.
So, I have sold my wonderful 180 f3.4 APO and my less wonderful 400
Telyt and replaced them with the latest Nikkor 70 - 200 F2.8 VR and
the latest 2X extender.
These will get a workout, I hope, this coming year in Africa. Before
that I will see how the 21 - 35 Elmar performs on the D700 and whether
I should take it along. A concern for me is its lack of dust proofing.
Cheers
Howard (back home in Honkers)

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] M/V Star Aquarius 90 Cron R on D700)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] M/V Star Aquarius 90 Cron R on D700)